Download and read ebooks from Amazon
- Interface permits clear viewing
- Change text size and color
- Add annotations and highlights
- 'Go to' feature
- No pinch-to-zoom feature for text
Kindle for Android is a mobile phone version of Amazon's popular ebook reading platform. The app allows you to quickly download and read electronic books on your phone.
If you don't already have a Kindle account with Amazon you'll need to sign up for one first. Once you've done this, Kindle for Android presents you with three free ebooks to get you started (Treasure Island, Pride & Prejudice, and Aesop's Fables).
Kindle for Android also lets you buy ebooks from Amazon using the link within the app, downloading a trial chapter, or grabbing one of the Kindle books you already own (these are automatically backed up by Amazon).
Simply tap on the cover a book to start reading it with Kindle for Android. To flick through the pages you just need to swipe your finger left or right. Tap the Menu button and you'll get a bunch of other options that can enhance your reading pleasure. For instance, you can add bookmarks, change the font size, and alter the color of the text. The 'Go to' icon in Kindle for Android aids navigation, allowing you to jump to the cover, the table of contents, the beginning or to a specific location or bookmark.
Just like the real Kindle device, Kindle for Android lets you add annotations and highlights to your books. To do this, you just need to hold your finger down on a word or phrase then choose 'Note' or 'Highlight'. Hit the 'More' button and you can search the word in Wikipedia or Dictionary.com.
Although the Kindle for Android interface is nice and simple, I was really hankering after a pinch feature for quickly zooming in on text. You can do it with images, so I find it strange the developer couldn't add the same function for writing.
It's not quite as advanced as the Amazon device itself, but Kindle for Android is, nevertheless, a great way to enjoy eBooks on your Apple phone.
- Redesigned library experience. Carousel displays recent items on the Kindle app home screen. Navigation panel organizes content for quick access to your Books, Documents, and Newsstand periodicals. Browse all your items in the Cloud or just the content downloaded on your Android device. Explore and download popular samples in the Kindle Store.